Wednesday, 10 October 2007

No news is good news

Its term time - and my time to look at things on the web is much depreciated. But I've been having fun playing with websites I refer to in lectures. (This year, as an experiment, I've been putting all my links up on my delicious page, as I refer to them in lectures. Two weeks into term, and I've already pointed my students to 212 websites. The students seem to like it - spare minutes at the end of a lab session can be spent browsing this "extended set reading", and its a nice record of the large spread of material we cover, even just in passing).

Todays choice, in particular, is the Bridgeman Art Library website. I'd recommend it as a place to idle away those art historical yearnings. Crowding round a slide cabinet all trying to see miniature slides of Giotto all seems another lifetime away - only a few years on since I remember elbowing Zoe in the ribs to try and get a better look at the annunciation. The Bridgeman has 323 images by Giotto alone available online. (Maybe having resources like this available would have improved my student essays!)


Simon Mahony said...

Hi Melissa,
Interestingly I was talking about how you could share resources in delicious in a class last week and giving a quick demo showing how the tags worked. I hit on *who else* had listed Companion to DH as I was talking about the importance of using your name so that other users could recognise you and so give credibility and authority to you selections. Scrolling down past the anonymous *tag* names, yours was the first I recognised and am now happy to be your *fan*!

Melissa said...

Thanks Simon! I've recently been thinking about the importance of naming online. Basically - real name+ professional. But coming up with project names, you should not use real words, but made up acronyms, so that your project can be found online! (ie the ReACH project: great acronym, sucks for searching though...)

Happy to have you as a fan! ha ha