Wednesday 10 October 2007

No news is good news

Its term time - and my time to look at things on the web is much depreciated. But I've been having fun playing with websites I refer to in lectures. (This year, as an experiment, I've been putting all my links up on my delicious page, as I refer to them in lectures. Two weeks into term, and I've already pointed my students to 212 websites. The students seem to like it - spare minutes at the end of a lab session can be spent browsing this "extended set reading", and its a nice record of the large spread of material we cover, even just in passing).

Todays choice, in particular, is the Bridgeman Art Library website. I'd recommend it as a place to idle away those art historical yearnings. Crowding round a slide cabinet all trying to see miniature slides of Giotto all seems another lifetime away - only a few years on since I remember elbowing Zoe in the ribs to try and get a better look at the annunciation. The Bridgeman has 323 images by Giotto alone available online. (Maybe having resources like this available would have improved my student essays!)

2 comments:

Simon Mahony said...

Hi Melissa,
Interestingly I was talking about how you could share resources in delicious in a class last week and giving a quick demo showing how the tags worked. I hit on *who else* had listed Companion to DH as I was talking about the importance of using your name so that other users could recognise you and so give credibility and authority to you selections. Scrolling down past the anonymous *tag* names, yours was the first I recognised and am now happy to be your *fan*!
Simon

Melissa said...

Thanks Simon! I've recently been thinking about the importance of naming online. Basically - real name+ professional. But coming up with project names, you should not use real words, but made up acronyms, so that your project can be found online! (ie the ReACH project: great acronym, sucks for searching though...)

Happy to have you as a fan! ha ha
Melissa