Tuesday 13 November 2007

Multi-lingual image searching

I'm a sucker for google image search, and searching tags on flickr. Its very handy for illustrating lectures (although I do credit images and just try to use those in the public domain, naturally). However, I've been aware for a while that I was only searching the English web - which is rapidly becoming a less significant place to start looking.

Pan Images is a prototype image searcher which uses automatic query translation to search both flickr and google, returning searches in hundreds of different languages including Dutch, Hindi, Polish, Russian.... etc etc etc. The web is much bigger again. My lectures are full of interesting slides. Peace is restored to the Kingdom.

1 comment:

Simon Mahony said...

Nice! Thanks for this ))
Simon